Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One Lucky Girl!

Life has been treating me really good lately. I have this sweet, perfect little boy who just keeps growing and figuring things out. He learned how to clap and he is always jabbering. He is about to crawl any day now and I can't wait to see it! (I know all the mothers with babies who are older are laughing a smug little laugh thinking "Oh, boy! She'll be eating those words when Gavin starts getting into everything and is always chasing her around and crying at her feet.") He has been more fussy lately and always wants to be held but I am told this stage will pass so I'm trying to find the joy in it. He really is such a good baby and he brings me so much happiness. Looking back I have no idea why I was so terrified to start having kids. It really is what life is about: family.

I also have an amazing husband who is always helping around the house or watching Gavin for me. Plus he works nights, which is really hard on him. He is such a genuinely good person. He is always helping neighbors move, or shoveling their walks, or just being a good friend that is willing to bend over backwards to help someone. He loves his family so much and is so good to them. He always is there for me to talk to and always leaves me little love notes. I am a really lucky girl. Both of us are getting sad because he will be leaving for a little over two months to go install security systems, but I will have to wait to go out with him because of school. It's going to be so hard! Luckily my sweet parents are going to come stay with me and watch Gavin. They are saints! And Riley will have his sister and some friends to keep him company. Riley was telling me that Pres. Hinckley had to leave his wife for about three months so he could go work, so that gives me hope and comfort. If they could do it, so can we!

I have also noticed that things just seem to work out for us. We have always been able to pay the bills and have always had a nice place to live. Our families have always been so supportive and helpful. Even just the littlest things seem to work out. For example, I was doing the laundry the other day and I found a little pastic thing in the bottom of the washer. I was about to throw it away when Riley walked by and told me it was supposed to go into the collar of his church shirt to keep it straight. Now this is really stupid and little,but if he hadn't walked by right then I would have just tossed it in the garbage. I don't think it would have been life changing or anything but I just notice dozens of little things like this every day and I don't think any of it is by chance. The Lord is truly blessing us in big ways and in small ways too. We will definately be counting on Him when Riley has to leave!

I have been trying to appreciate all the free time I have because very soon I'm afraid I won't have any. I start the LPN program at Bridgerland in less than two weeks and it's an all day, every day thing. I'm afraid I'm going to have a small come apart for that first while when I'm trying to adjust, but I keep telling myself that the Lord isn't going to forget about us and things will work out just like they always do. I just keep picturing myself going to school unshowered with bloodshot eyes because I had to wait to do all my homework until Gavin went to bed and I only got two hours of sleep. That's probably a little dramatic, but I'm just a little nervous! Well, this has been a long rambling post and I'm sure whoever decided to read this is probably getting bored so that's it for now!

This was taken a couple of months ago, but he is still always flailing around like this on his tummy, trying to move around. He gets up on his knees a lot but then usually just ends up scooting backwards.

3 comments:

AnneMarie said...

I loved this post. You are such a positive person, and I love you. watch out nursing school, here comes Cassie!

Jackie Schugk said...

Cassie you are so cute.. I have never met anybody that has set such a mark on my life as you and Riley.. I enjoyed that emt class more than any other I have ever taught and I truely mean that.. Riley is just like my husband.. always willing to help.. but then always there for me.. you are a doll.. thanks for empowering me to be a better parent, wife and friend.. call me if you ever need anything.. and you know.. I would come up there on a drop of a hat to help you..take care

The Shurtleffs said...

You are so optimistic! I wish I could be more like you. And, I thought you should know, Your kid makes me want to have a kid! His little flailing limbs are just too cute. Sounds like everything's good for you all!